Meal prepping can be very stressful for a parent. Two words come into mind when I think about meal prepping, picky kids! What kid isn’t picky? They have their noses turned up so high if it isn’t microwavable or previously frozen. My daughters’ love frozen french toast sticks. Pull them out of the freezer and pop them into the microwave. This can be a relief on those days when you are already running behind and the kids are screaming of starvation (and we all know there is no way they could possibly be starving that much). Then there are the days when we just want to fix our kids something ‘homemade’.
This past Wednesday as I watched the french toast sticks go round in the microwave , I thought to myself “I could so make these!” The only question of doubt was, would they love my french toast sticks as much as the ones in the freezer? Well, this recipe passed the test. My oldest gave it two thumbs up. Plus, it is easy-mom win! You can make this recipe a little more festive by adding purple sugar sprinkles to celebrate Halloween. You can also opt out of the sugary sprinkles or add more to make these french toast sticks even more fun.
I plan to switch out the color of the sprinkles for all the different holidays. A few ideas are: red and green for Christmas, pink, red, and white for Valentine’s Day, and any of the pastel blue, pink, green, and yellow colored sprinkles for Easter. I believe my kids would really go for these ideas! Another idea my oldest suggested was colored whipped cream for dipping. For this, add one drop of food coloring to the whipped cream and fold it in!
If you are looking for an easy breakfast recipe to kick off the morning without having to use the microwave, this recipe is perfect! You can prep the bread slices the night before to save even more cooking time. Get ready to have your kids wanting more of this non-freezer, non-microwavable breakfast. Just get that syrup ready for dipping and cheers to easy, kid-approved recipes 🙂
Easy French Toast Sticks
Baking and Spices
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, powder
- 1/3 cup White sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Purple sugar sprinkles optional
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 4 slices Bread stale works even better
- Take the 4 slices of bread and trim off all the crust; then cut each slice into 3 equal 'sticks'
- Combine the white sugar, cinnamon, salt, and purple sugar sprinkles on a plate;
- Combine the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl; it may be easier to mix with a whisk to get the eggs mixed well with the other ingredients
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Once the butter is melted, roll the sticks one at a time in the egg mixture, not allowing them to soak; do this in 2 batches, or however many your skillet will accommodate
- Cook sticks about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown
- Immediately transfer from pan to plate with sugar mixture and roll until stick is covered.
- Serve these sticks with a dipping bowl of maple syrup!