Who doesn’t love some good marshmallow breakfast cereal bars?
Schools out for summer! Anyone else start singing the Alice Cooper song after reading that? I know I do every time. It is summer time over here, and we are trying to keep things fun and interesting. Into the kitchen we go and creating new recipes. This one is a special one that my toddler concocted: Marshmallow Breakfast Cereal Bars, mixed-up version.
We love cereal, all sorts of cereal.
Our family is all about cereal. I honestly can’t think of a cereal that we don’t like. With this love for cereal comes the abundance of cereal in our pantry. Of course it all doesn’t get eaten before we move to the next cereal. This is where these marshmallow breakfast cereal bars come into play. I have made these cereal bars before, but only with Fruity Pebbles (and obviously Rice Krispies). Instead of only using one type of cereal, my youngest decided to mix in a bunch of different cereals. You know what? These actually taste pretty darn good!
Marshmallow makes these extra fun, and sticky.
Those rice krispie treats will always be a favorite in this house. We bought a huge box of them at Costco the other day. That should tell you a lot about how much these kids love them. These marshmallow breakfast cereal bars have that same taste and texture as the beloved rice krispie treats. The only difference is they will be more sticky if you use bigger cereal pieces, like fruit loops. Why? They don’t soak up and coat as much of the marshmallow as the rice krispie treats. You could add more of this type of cereal to the mix if you don’t want them to be as sticky!
Now, let’s get to mixing things up!
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 16 oz. bag of marshmallows
- 6 cups of cereal, mixing up the measurement through whatever cereals you choose
- Parchment paper
- Line a 9" square baking dish with parchment paper and set aside
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the butter. Heat the butter in microwave until it melts, about 1 1/2 minutes
- Add the marshmallow to the bowl and stir them with the melted butter. Place the bowl back into the microwave and heat for another 1 1/2 minutes, watching to make sure the marshmallows don't over flow. Remove and stir. If the marshmallows aren't completely melted, you can reheat for additional time.
- Now add the cereal! Mix in all your favorite cereal into the marshmallow and carefully stir. You don't want to crush up all the cereal as you mix it.
- Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared baking dish. Gently spread and press down into the pan. Try not to press to hard or they will be harder to eat.
- Allow it to set for about an hour. Cut and enjoy!
Cereal and milk, ahem, I mean marshmallows.
I hope you all enjoy these marshmallow breakfast cereal bars as much as we do! The are sticky and oh so good! Great way to use all of that cereal you had to buy in different versions.