Southern is as southern does, like these simple gluten free southern chicken biscuits.
I can remember stopping by Connie’s every Friday morning before heading to FCA at the high school. There is where I would eat that more than delicious Connie’s Chicken Biscuit. Sometimes I would eat it with just chicken and biscuit, other times I would order it smothered in gravy. What better way to start the school day, Connie’s Chicken Biscuit and some Jesus!
My take on this southern favorite may not be exactly like the infamous Connie’s, but it is still a good one. With the help of Bob’s Red Mill, I made these chicken biscuits gluten free. Welcome my simple gluten free southern chicken biscuits!
Keepin’ it southern.
Y’all knew I was writing y’all from the good ol’ south, right? Pretty sure you can tell by the way I speak. Well, type in this case 😉 We love our greens and we love our fried foods. Here is the thing about the south. Depending on what part of the south your are talking about gives way to a different cuisine. Maybe its my Mississippi lineage, but I would bet that southern chicken biscuits are from Mississippi. Like jambalaya is from Louisiana (y’all northerners know good and well that Louisiana jambalaya is not the same up there), this fried breakfast delicacy is more of a Mississippi thing.
Ok, let me walk away from my southern foods podium. I am here for all the southern food. That’s enough on that. Even though these simple gluten free southern chicken biscuits are gluten free, they still bring that southern flare.
Why gluten free?
I find that those who have any type of food allergy or aversion are robbed from the ability to just go out and enjoy food. One of my sister’s has Type I diabetes. She found out when she was around the age of 6-7. You better believe that this altered a lot of her choices when it came to food. Thank goodness for all the advances in medicine where she is able to monitor all of this better, but the fact is-she can’t have sugar.
Like those with diabetes, those who are gluten intolerant are unable to eat foods which contain food. Sometimes this may be a personal decision where others can’t make the decision since their bodies already did. I want everyone to be able to enjoy the greatness that southern food brings. This is why I went with a southern chicken biscuit that is gluten free.
More gluten free recipes:
Y’all can layer it up.
With any other biscuit recipe, you can dress these biscuits, along with the chicken, however you would like. If you like a dollop of strawberry preserves, do it. Ketchup and even gravy will do just fine.
- 4 chicken breasts (trimmed and split)
- 2 cups of Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp powder
- 2 3/4 cups Bob's Red Mill Biscuit and Baking Mix
- 1/2 cup cubed/chilled butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Add 2 3/4 cups of Biscuit and Baking Mix to a large bowl.
- Add the cubed butter and cut it into flour with a fork or a pastry blender.
- In another bowl, add the 2 eggs and milk and whisk.
- Pour the egg mixture into bowl with biscuit mix and carefully incorporate the egg/milk into the biscuit mix.
- On a lightly floured surface, dump out the biscuit dough and knead a few times, folding inside and over the other.
- Press dough out to about 1" thick and cut out 3" biscuits. You should get about 8 biscuits
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- While biscuits bake, prepare the chicken.
- Mix 1 cup of 1-to-1 Baking Flour with onion powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Mix the other cup of 1-to-1 Baking Flour with 1 cup of milk and whisk.
- Dip the chicken breast into the dredge, then into batter, and place on a piece of parchment paper (or wax).
- Heat up oil in a deep frying pan to 275. Fry each piece about 4 minutes per side. Place on paper towels to slightly cool
- Cut biscuit in half and place fried chicken in middle. Can dress biscuit with a pepper jelly or ketchup!
The perfect combination.
Fried chicken just goes well with biscuits. As if they are the perfect combination. One compliments the other. Don’t you love it when things work out like that? The same for those Friday mornings in high school where we had Connie’s Chicken Biscuits and FCA. Love how God can meet us in the middle, meet us anywhere, and can take a hold of whatever we have going on and help carry that burden. Helping us to see His grace and goodness. Well, I like to be reminded of this every time I enjoy these Gluten Free Southern Chicken Biscuits.
God met me more than halfway, he freed me from my anxious fears. Look at him; give him your warmest smile. Never hide you feelings from him. When I was desperate, I called out, and God got me out of a tight spot. God’s angel sets up a circle of protection around us while we pray. Open your mouth and see-how good God is. Blessed are you who run to him.